Teen Dating Violence: Prevention, Identification, and Intervention
Authored By:National Center for Mental Health Promotion and Youth Violence Prevention
Element One of the Safe Schools/Healthy Students (SS/HS) Initiative focuses on activities that foster a safe school environment and prevent violence. Teen dating violence (TDV) threatens students
- Davis, A. (2008). Interpersonal and physical dating violence among teens. The National Council on Crime and Delinquency Focus. Retrieved from www.nccdglobal.org/publications
- National Research Center for Women and Families. (November 2004). American Youth Work Center. September 2008. Retrieved from www.center4research.org/v-dating.html
- Silverman, J. G., Raj, A., Mucci, L. A., & Hathaway, J. E. (August 1, 2001). Dating violence against adolescent girls and associated substance use, unhealthy weight control, sexual risk behavior, pregnancy, and suicidality. JAMA, 286(5), 572–579. Retrieved from http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=194061
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance—United States, 2009. Retrieved from www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/ss/ss5905.pdf
- Davis, A. (2008).
- Banyard, V. L., & Cross, C. (2008). Consequences of teen dating violence: Understanding intervening variables in ecological context. Violence Against Women, 14(9), 998–1013.
- Ackard, D. M., & Neumark-Sztainer, D. (2002). Date violence and date rape among adolescents: Associations with disordered eating behaviors and psychological health. Child Abuse and Neglect, 26(5), 455–473.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (May 19, 2006). Physical dating violence among high school students—United States, 2003. MMWR, 55(19), 532–535.
- Silverman et al. (2001).
- Decker, M., Silverman, J. G., & Raj, A. (2005). Dating violence and sexually transmitted disease/HIV testing and diagnosis among adolescent females. Pediatrics, 116, 272–276.
- Coker, L., McKeown, R. E., Sanderson, M., Davis, K. E., Valois, R. F., & Huebner, E. S. (2000). Severe dating violence and quality of life among South Carolina high school students. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 19, 220–227.
- Wolitzky-Taylor, K. B., et al. (July 2008). Prevalence and correlates of dating violence in a national sample of adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 47(7), 755–762.
- Wekerle, C., & Wolfe, D. (1999). Dating violence in midadolescence: Theory, significance, and emerging prevention initiatives. Clinical Psychology Review, 19(4), 435–456.
- O’Keefe, M. (2005). Teen dating violence: A review of risk factors and prevention efforts. National Electronic Network on Violence Against Women. Retrieved from www.vawnet.org/Assoc_Files_VAWnet/AR_TeenDatingViolence.pdf
- Smith, P. H., White, J. W., & Holland, L. J. (2003). A longitudinal perspective on dating violence among adolescent and college-age women. American Journal of Public Health, 93(7), 1104–1109.
- Foshee, V. A., & Matthew, R. A. (2007). Adolescent dating abuse perpetration: A review of findings, methodological limitations, and suggestions for future research. The Cambridge Handbook of Violent Behavior and Aggression (pp. 431–449). New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Liz Claiborne Inc. (February 2005). Survey on teens and dating, conducted by Teenage Research Unlimited. Retrieved from https://www.breakthecycle.org/surveys
- The Delaware Coalition Against Domestic Violence. Retrieved from www.dcadv.org/
- The American Bar Association. (2006). Teen dating violence: Prevention recommendations for teens, parents, school personnel, mental health professionals and school counselors, physicians and health care professionals, judges and court personnel, victim attorneys and prosecutors, law enforcement officers, domestic violence organizations. Retrieved from www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/migrated/unmet/teenabuseguide.authch...
- The National Conference of State Legislatures. (August 23, 2011). Teen dating violence. Retrieved from http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/teen-dating-violence.aspx
- Rhode Island Department of Education. (2008). A guide to preventing bullying, teen dating violence, and sexual violence in Rhode Island schools. Retrieved from www.ride.ri.gov/commissioner/edpolicy/documents/20080401_guidebullyingtd...
- National Law Enforcement Museum. (2011). Supporting children exposed to domestic violence: A facilitator’s guide to creating a coordinated response in elementary schools. Retrieved from www.nleomf.org/museum/education/programs-activities/domestic-violence-aw...
- The American Bar Association. (2006).
- National Law Enforcement Museum. (2011).
- The American Bar Association. (2006).
- Zwicker, T. J. (Fall 2002). Education Policy Brief: The imperative of developing teen dating violence prevention and intervention programs in secondary schools. Southern California Review of Law and Women’s Studies, 12(1).
- Liz Claiborne Inc. (2005).
- Social control, verbal abuse, and violence among teenagers. (December 2000). Survey commissioned by the Empower Program, sponsored by Liz Claiborne Inc. and conducted by Knowledge Networks.
- Social control, verbal abuse, and violence among teenagers. (2000).
|Teen Dating Violence: Prevention, Identification, and Intervention.pdf||150.44 KB|